Friday 23 November 2012

Precious moments in time

Teamwork - I couldn't hear what they were saying, and I didn't want to intrude so I quickly snapped the photo and left them to it.  So wonderful to see them playing so nicely together.
Cuddles with Daddy
Felix is so cheeky - "Got you, got me" 
There are a few months this year when there are gaping holes in the photos we have of the boys.  There is no particular reason for it - I've just been slack at getting the camera out.  Grant comes from a family where everyone physically cringes and runs at the sight of the camera so its up to me.  I am by no means a good photographer nor do I have a fabulous camera, but I am with my tamariki pretty much 24-7 so who has more of an opportunity to catch those precious moments than moi?  

Having been inspired by the way both The Beetle Shack and Che and Fidel have been taking a portrait a week of their children, I have made a concerted effort to carry the camera with me wherever I go and be as snap-happy as I can. This has resulted in a couple of gorgeous photos and of course a heap of rubbish ones, which thanks to the wonders of digital technology can simply be deleted forever.  
Splitting an ice block on a lovely spring day.
The portrait a week idea is one that I've made a commitment to take on next year.  It is such a beautiful way to document the children's lives, not only for the boys to see as they grow but also for Grant and I, family and friends.  Time passes so quickly to let it slip by unnoticed. Thanks to the wonderful Kristen for the fabulous tips on taking great photos of your children and for motivating me to start saving for a new camera too! Xo

4 comments:

  1. I truly can't believe how grown up Gus is- full on little boy!! No baby face at all!!

    xoxo em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh definitely Em! Also in his attitude and understanding of the intricacies of life.

      We were chatting the other day about how he will need a new backpack soon and he told me "Maybe I can have a Buzz Lightyear one Mummy" and as I was about to protest because I avoid buying license merchandise and things that are mass produced in China or Taiwan etc, he said "But its okay because it doesn't have chemicals in it". So on some level he understands that I am conscious about the things we purchase, which is at times about the contents of a product. Amazing!

      Am loving your stills by the way. Just gorgeous. Xo

      Delete
  2. Hi there

    I love your posts, sorry haven't commented before but I seem to read and dash off to something, it was lovely meeting you at sewing class and I am keen to come along to your craft evenings sometime next year, I know what you mean about the photos, I too am trying to increase what I take, we had a big gap in our photographic history after baby 2 was born as well! My next goal is to now get in more of them with the kids (eek!) but my 6 year old love taking photos so between her and the self timer we are too getting lots of rubbish ones but some gorgeous ones too....check out picasa download as its a great free photo editing tool that helps fix all of my poor point and shoot pics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Penny, Lovely to hear from you. Thanks for the tip of Picasa - will have to join/register. How did you get on with the dress making (?) class with Jenny? It'll be great to see you at the craft night - lately we've had a more intimate group of 4 or 5 ladies which has been really nice as it has meant that we're all able to chat more and get to know each other a little better. Really sweet. Hope to see you in the new year. Xo

    ReplyDelete