Monday 7 January 2013

Marmalade, jam, jars, seaweed and sauce

My very thoughtful parents gave me a bunch of preserving tools and a preserving bath for my birthday, so with fond memories of Nana's enormous preserve cupboards in mind, Grant and I undertook our first attempt at preserving. And what a success it was! Our tomato sauce is delicious complete with the odd seed hidden amongst the sauce - just like Nana's. We did run into a few hurdles along the way, with the first being that we we halfway through making the sauce when we realised that we didn't have any bottles! One desperate phone call later and a quick dash to a friends' house and we were sorted.

But then what to do with six litres of tomato sauce? Well we surely owed Annabel some for the bottles and our neighbours who had only days before gifted a jar of their homemade orange marmalade. Another bottle also for Mum and Dad who are today bringing us some homemade strawberry jam and seaweed fertiliser. It really makes me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside to share our wares with friends, family and neighbours and it is such a nice way to enjoy the abundance of others. I'm planning on offering a bottle of sauce to our neighbours too once their walnut tree is ready to drop its walnuts! Cheeky I know. Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment