Monday 9 September 2013

Chalk and cheese



My two boys are pretty much opposites. Gus will rarely be found playing without his shoes, whereas Felix would happily walk around in wet freshly mown grass in socks. Gus sees a plate of cake and enquires as to the whereabouts of the cake fork, whereas Felix would be happy to devour porridge with his hands. Gus is ferocious and passionate in life whereas Felix is sweet and a lot more delicate.

At times I can forget that despite being raised in the same house by the same parents with the same rules, the expectations for each child need to be different. They each have their own strengths and weaknesses, and need to be afforded the time to develop and engage in the world in their own unique way. The recent completion of my assignment on language acquisition prompted me to really pause and reflect upon this. Most timely I say! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment