Sunday 5 February 2012

Trousers and cake

These are the trousers that I've been working on for Gus. The pattern is from Nina Bonita Designs. I learnt a few things when making these fabulous trousers (always a good thing) - like the importance of cutting the fabric properly to match up the pattern.  Such an amateur mistake! Not that anyone is going to notice it really as Gus won't give them a chance as he barrels past them, but I know so I'm a bit disappointed.  




I also learnt how to make cuffed hems which I think look absolutely fabulous and weren't that hard to do either.  I just had to take the time to think about what I was doing.  Gus was pretty happy about having pockets in his trousers as well - another new thing for me.  



I've also just started knitting a cowl for a present for a fellow crafty friend out of a beautiful grey merino yarn that has a fleck of black and white through it.  I've kind-of made up the pattern to suit my requirements as the patterns I found used different wool and needles to what I had.  I decided to use huge needles to give the cowl a lose knit look which I think makes it seem cosier.  I've used size 10 (metric) with Naturally Aran Tweed 10 ply 95% New Zealand merino 5% wool knops.  I cast on 30 stitches and will knit until it looks about right - maybe about 45 cm long.  Will see how it goes and update accordingly.  I'm going to wing it a bit as I want it to be just right so that while she's sitting up feeding her pepe in the middle of the night at least her neck is warm while the rest of her is exposed.

Yum - I can smell the delicious Plum Cake that's cooking away in the oven which will quickly be devoured at morena kai (morning tea).  I have to share this recipe as it is one of our absolute favourites and is so delicious and easy to make.





Dairy-Free Plum Cake
1 1/2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
115 g Olivani
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 x 800 g tin plums (or whatever I have handy - either tinned or stewed fruit)
Icing sugar to dust

Sift flour and sugar. Cut in butter until mixture resembles crumbs. Add egg and crumble through with a fork. Press just over half the mixture into a greased and line 20 cm round tin. Cover with fruit. Sprinkle over remaining crumbs. Bake at 180 C for 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack. Dust with icing sugar to serve. Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment