Friday 3 May 2013

Day 3 - and what a lovely day it has been

Today seemed governed by our puku with lots of time spent in the kitchen cooking and eating.

Breakfast
Bacon and scrambled eggs made with coconut milk and butter

Lunch
Super-mini frittatas with ham, cheese and courgette, which I sort of made up as I couldn't find the previous recipe I'd made. I mixed 6 eggs, a splash of coconut milk, salt, pepper and paprika together and filled two little muffin cups up to about 2/3 full and then topped them with finely chopped ham, grated courgette and cheese, and baked them at 180 degrees for about 12 minutes. I have frozen a couple to see how they defrost - am thinking ahead for kindy lunches. Note: lots of 'abouts' as I winged it but it doesn't seem like you can really go wrong with frittata. In the below photo, Felix is trying to figure out what's inside the frittata.

Dinner
Fish cakes from The Paleo Mama served with mashed pumpkin and potato, and steamed broccoli and cauliflower.

Snacks
Banana, feijoas, trail mix, and the most delicious Paleo brownies from Paleo Brownie. These got the "Mmm yummy, can I have more" approval from both boys. Photo below.

We paid a visit to the Park Avenue Butcher in Lower Hutt yesterday - the good old-fashioned type who grabs a couple of chooks out of the cool room and chops up what you need while you wait and minces the exact amount of lamb mince that you need. I've started going fortnightly and stocking up on a few general things which I then plan our meals around. Yesterday I got 1 kg each of lamb and beef mince, some chicken breasts, corned silverside, and additive-free salami, ham and biersticks.

Meal planning really seems to be key with eating Paleo. Felix and I typically do our grocery shopping on a Thursday and so the night before (or sometimes the morning of) I do a quick inventory of what we've got in the cupboards, fridge and freezer, and then make a list of our lunches and dinners for the next seven days. I try to bake on the weekend and once during the week so there is muffins or biscuits for lunchboxes, and on the night before kindy/playcentre I try to make something for dinner that the boys can easily eat for their lunch straight out of their lunchbox. It does seem like a lot of work but it is definitely worth it.



No comments:

Post a Comment