Saturday 10 August 2013

Food to enjoy!


At the moment it feels as though if I'm not racing around chasing my tail, I'm studying, and when I'm doing neither of those things I'm in the kitchen cooking, cleaning or baking. And still, I decided to take on another project - the water kefir (pictured above). Kefir is a probiotic culture similar to kombucha - Nourished Kitchen have a great little article here on it which convinced me to give it a go.  Both of the boys have benefited from store-brought powdered probiotics over the past year but lately we've found the cost of them to be prohibitive, so I thought I'd give this a go.  See the fizz in the bottle? Our first batch is ready to be refrigerated and will be ready to drink tomorrow.  The grains multiply incredibly quickly so if you'd like some grains please let me know.


Photo of Rustic Cauliflower Quiche from Petite Kitchen

With the efforts we take to ensure that our family eats fresh, nutritious, ethically grown and homemade food, one of life's biggest disappointments is when you have a recipe fail - either a complete flop or just not meeting your expectations.  I have especially found this to be the case since we started following a Paleo diet, as too often the recipes just seem to be lacking in some way. I don't know what it is exactly, but for me they are just missing something.  Its not that we have exotic meals; quite the contrary actually as most days it is simply eggs and leftover vegetables for breakfast, something similar for lunch, and meat and vegetables for dinner.  However, if I am going to make a cake, biscuits or something a little special for dinner then it needs to taste good!  And just when I thought all was lost, a thoughtful friend sent me the link to Petite Kitchen, saying she thought it looked like something I'd like.  She was so right!


Photo of Chocolate Date Truffles from Petite Kitchen

It is fair to say that I have become just a little infatuated with Eleanor Ozich's blog Petite Kitchen. In the last month since I started obsessing over her recipes, I have made the Boiled Orange Chocolate Cake not once or twice but three times (we've had guests to be fair).  We've also had the Raw Lemon and Coconut Truffles, the Garlic and Pumpkin Tart, the Apple and Cinnamon Coconut Flour Cake, the Honey Nut Banana Cake, the Garlic and Beef Burgers, the Chocolate Date Truffles, the Fancy Meatloaf and the Cauliflower Quiche - twice. Each recipe has tasted incredibly delicious and I can't wait each week for Eleanor's new recipes. She is so incredibly incredible that she now has a regular spot in the Viva magazine of The NZ Herald.  All I can say (or perhaps our stomachs can say) is thank goodness for Eleanor! Xo

No comments:

Post a Comment